Wednesday, March 30, 2011

First day of home schooling

Well first, I suppose you want to know why I started homeschooling so late in the year. Well I've always wanted to home school, but after Gracie went to preschool, then kindergarden we just didnt want to bother with messing things up since she was doing well. Well, she wasnt really "doing well". There were areas that she struggled, mostly behavior. And a lot of it I think was/is my fault.
After an "incident" at her school, and some bad choices on Graceen's part, and subsequent diciplines she had to endure at school that I didnt agree with, I decided it was time. I put it off long enough, it was most definatly time for me to take action.
Last week, was the "incident" and I immediatly started re-researching (I had already started earlier in the year) and settled on CHEP.  It turned out that thier cut off for enrollment was April 1st for this year, so I only had a few days to get all the paperwork taken care of. I did and here it is March 30 and it was our first official day of homeschooling. Today we covered math, reading, and science. Its most definatly a learning experience for both of us. For me, because I have to figure out where she left off in school, and go from there. I also need to find out where she needs help. Her teacher left me feeling like she was sure Gracie was a "bad" student, and I already got the impression that she thinks Gracie is a "bad" kid altogether. It seemed that she never praised her for good behaviors, and good things in school, but always seemed to focus on Graceen's bad behaviors and wrong answers. I think Gracie is going to thrive at home. I just need to work on her behavior.
I titled this blog "A Day in my Life" because I plan on talking about my days, good and bad. I may gush and be all lovey dovey about my kiddos for having a good day, and I may really dislike being around people another day because my blessings are hellions lol. I know God will help me through this. And I cant wait until things get into a normal routine

2 comments:

  1. Amen and good luck! Sounds like the reason we decided; for Jonathan, at least. HUGS! And keep on truckin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that Gracie was labeled a "bad" kid by her teacher. Nothing like setting up a kid to fail because of labels a teacher gives early on in a child's education!! (That is why we never put Mikaela in a "normal" school because of her ADHD knowing that she would be labeled a "bad" kid when really she just needs to be able to do her learning her own way)

    So glad that Gracie gets to stay home and learn! She will do awesome since she will be in a loving nurturing environment where she won't get labeled.

    I can't wait to hear how your home school adventure goes!!

    ~Krystal

    ReplyDelete